Monday, May 26, 2008

Accountable

I think that the majority of human beings probably subconciously groan when they see that word.

Being accountable is tough because not only do you have to accept the fact that you really do have faults and it's truly time to work on them, but you have to admit those faults to others and be willing to get smacked around when they catch you doing stuff your aren't supposed to do. We live in such a fake world where we are are all so afraid of what everyone would think if they REALLY knew about all the skeletons in our closets. In fact, we are so afraid, that we walk around not really allowing ourselves to be completely real with people and that wall we put up not only keeps our secrets safe, it also keeps people from seeing Jesus in us. Does it hurt to admit that I have made many mistakes! YES. But if I don't admit those mistakes, I can't ask God to forgive me and Lord knows that I can't fix myself.

So why all this rambling?

Well, I think it's time to get real. I've been saying it for a while now and it's time to put actions behind the words. I know too many people who have marriages falling apart, in debt up to their neck, stressed to the max, and feeling like there is no happy ending in their future. They feel alone. They feel tired. And they feel like they are the only one who has EVER felt that way because we are all so worried about what people would think if they really knew the TRUE me.

So, put some skeletons out there. Not because you want to brag, not because it's a crutch you want to lean on...but because maybe the skeleton you wish to bury is the same thing someone else is struggling with right now and needs to know that a Christian can struggle with those issues too! Jesus wants us out there leading people to the Lord, not being comfortable. My goal this week is to start out getting REAL with myself and asking for some accountability from other Christian women in my life. What's your goal?

2 comments:

TinyJr said...

But getting real might mean pulling down curtains that hide our "country club" lives and that is simply unacceptable. The true fact is like you said, we are too comfortable to be Real, even though inside we are filled with turmoil and doubt.

Great goal, look forward to hearing about the REAL

Anonymous said...

Want to know what REAL means? How about being a Christian and having a non-Christian husband who constantly puts you and your beliefs down. Yesterday, on my birthday, I was 'beat up' with accusations that are so unbelievable. During the tirade, I kept praying, "Lord, give me peace", repeatedly. Guess what? I was able to withstand the onslaught with dignity! I am asking all of my Christian brothers and sisters to keep my family in your prayers and pray that my husband will come to know Christ as his personal Savior. Now, will you be accountable?