Sunday, December 28, 2008

Did you know?

That I love to scrapbook? I don't talk about it on here that often, but I do love to do it. I started scrapbooking in 2000. Actually, that's a lie. I started scrapbooking in middle and high school, but I didn't know it had a name. I used to save my allowance and then buy the scrapbook style books at Hallmark. I would use scotch tape to tape down pictures, movie stubs, anything really and then I would write dates and the events that went along with the pictures/stubs, etc. I put them in a hope chest and forgot about them until my mother in law, Barbara, asked me to go to a scrapbooking party in 2000. Honestly, I really didn't want to go. I was partied out. I had just had a Pampered Chef party and with Anna underfoot, I didn't have time to scrapbook so why even go? But I went. It was in the basement at Ebenezer Baptist Church. A lady Barbara went to church with, Mindy, was the consultant. She went through the "spill" and showed off cutters, corner rounders, papers, a tape runner (basically the scrapbook version of scotch tape) and then we sat around and made our first page. As the night went on, I fell in love. This is what I had done in middle/high school. There were actually REAL tools I could use to cut circles in my pictures. There were actually scrapbooks that were gauranteed not to fall apart (I forgot to tell you that my beloved Hallmark albums that I had saved for were in shambles in the hope chest, they were total crap).

I must stop here and remind you I am cheap.

When the event was over and it was time to order, I wanted EVERYTHING and they even had a kit that had everything. But it was $300. And I am cheap. So, Barbara and I decided we would split it. We would scrapbook together at her house and split everything. HA!

I think about a week later I was a Creative Memories consultant. Not only could I not stand not having it all, but once I learned that a consultant got a discount, I couldn't sign on the dotted line fast enough. That was almost 9 years ago, and although I am no longer a consultant (although I loved being a consultant), I still LOVE to scrapbook. I love to see my kids' faces as I bring them their school albums that I just done a few pages in. I love to write stories in my books. My style of scrapbooking is not fancy. Pretty plain actually. I really enjoy paper and writing and being able to use all of that in to albums is really great. Plus, when you get together and scrapbook (called a crop), you get to hang out with friends and you eat. What could be better than that?

Anyway, the reason I am telling you all this is because I am having a crop at my house this Friday, Jan. 2 from 6pm-midnight. If you've never scrapbooked before, don't worry, you can come and there will be a consultant here to teach you. AND TRUST ME, no strings attached. You don't have to spend $300, you don't have to sign up to be a consultant, but you just might fall in love with something that your family will love looking at. Come crop, eat and have fun with new and old friends!

6 comments:

kristina proffitt said...

Loved that story of how you got started, Brea! You know me - I love to scrap, too! ;) I would come on over, but I have an early morning that Saturday and well - I'm not good at crops - I just eat and chat and get nothing done! Ha! I need to e-mail you. ;) Hugs! Have fun on Friday!

Beckie said...

Hey will there be stuff I can buy? I have nothing...and I am cheap too! Glad you are feeling better!

Kristi J said...

I just found your blog..We have 4 bio kids and are adopting our 5th child from Ethiopia right now...We should get our referral any day...So, you're in Hendersonville?? I'm in Brentwood. I know this is kind of premature since we haven't even gotten our new daughter yet..but I keep thinking about domestic adoption for #6 (and then we're done :) ha. I would want African American (or bi-racial is fine too.)..Can you request that in the US? I saw you used BEthany...were you happy with them and would you recommend them?? Thanks for your time...my email is kristinedjohnson@comcast.net

Brea said...

Beck and others-
I will have all of my cropping tools out for everyone to use so all you really need to bring is some pictures. We will have everything else. If you decide you like it, I'm sure Tracy (the consultant) will be happy to sell you something, but it really isn't necessary to buy anything until you figure out if you like it. There is no charge to come crop, but I am asking that everyone bring a food dish to share. Hope we pack the house...I love to get together and crop!

Anonymous said...

Brea, can you email me directions to your house? I haven't been there since you moved. I'll talk to Brian about coming but it shouldn't be a problem. We don't have anything planned that I am aware of. I have yet to finish Tristan's book and would love to come and visit.

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to jump on the whole scrapbooking bandwagon. Hate that I missed out...guess I need to check your blog more often...maybe next time. Hope you had a great turn out :)