Friday, December 12, 2008

Snow Can't Stop God

If you don't live in TN and are reading this, let me preface this post by saying that even during a threat of snow, life in TN stops. Seriously. People forget how to drive, stores are instantly out of milk and bread, and people hunker down like we will have a blizzard. Never mind that since the ice storm of 1993, I'm not sure we have EVER had a snowstorm that would keep you from getting to the store, but alas...I have other things to blog about tonight.

So, last night was our auction. I must admit that this was a stressful event for me. For some reason (AKA SATAN), we seem to have been under attack during the planning of this event. Kids were sick, I got sick, people died, you name it...we've experienced it in the last few weeks. I just felt completely ill prepared, but Katie and Ray totally picked up the slack. I must admit, when everything was set up last night, I realized that no one but me would realize that I felt ill prepared. Bidder registration started at 5:30pm and at 5:50pm we still had less than 10 people there. It wasn't because we hadn't advertised, it was because it was snowing. Hadn't I said (OUT LOUD) multiple times yesterday that Satan needed to stay away from me in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ. I was freaking out. Seriously. Freaking out.

And then we had to make the decision to cancel the auction. What would we do with all the items that had been so graciously donated? How would the people feel that had ventured out in the SNOW to come to this? I mean, I would have been ill.

It was at that moment that I was once reminded that I am not in control. GOD IS. God is in control of everything. He knew it would snow. He knew I would doubt. AND HE INTENDED TO PROVE ME WRONG. You see, the people who did show up were there by the GRACE OF GOD. My sister, Ali, and Sarah...both of whom graciously helped us load in everything and set up in the rain, snow and cold. Both of whom reminded Katie and I not to worry. My mom and dad wrangling all of our kids. Laura Horton, my ultimate prayer warrior, who instantly put me at peace. Angie V., ever faithful, with her plates of cookies and brownies and a smile that made me feel safe. Karen and Brian, who are themselves adopting...my new friends! Ray and Katie's family, always so kind and have such encouraging words. A couple from Long Hollow, who come to find out, the wife was Anna's first camp counselor years ago. Such a kind, sweet soul. Another couple from Long Hollow who know Ray and Katie. A couple who saw our signs and decided to drop in. Susan Gupton who always is just a doll! I hope I have named you all. You were all instrumental in what I am about to tell you.

You see, we canceled the auction, but offered to everyone that was there that if they had come for something specific, we would sell it for half of the listed value OR they could make an offer. What happened next was nothing short of a miracle. Everyone started rounding up items off the tables and coming out front to check out. And you know what? We sold $1900 and we both brought home carloads of items to sell on craigslist and ebay. $1900!!!!! AND WE DIDN'T HAVE THE AUCTION! People paid us full price for items, people handed us cash, checks, etc. and people gave us love.

THANK YOU to those that hugged us, prayed for us, and gave. Not just your money, but your time. I am humbled, so incredibly humbled. And exhausted. Love you all!

3 comments:

Tracie said...

brea,
that is just flat out awesome!

WOW!

Anonymous said...

WOW.. that is great! Sorry I missed being there.. I am scared to drive in sleet and snow... and at night...

Vickie

Anonymous said...

I'm learning when God says to "go" somewhere, even when it doesn't make sense....you GO! I was blessed by being there. Sometimes just reminding myself of WHO God has given me in my life....causes an incredible sense of Joy and Praise to flow.

I'm just thrilled to get to witness this chapter, first hand! Man...it just hit me. As crazy as we are about our kids, friends, and family....God is SO eternally nuts over us! He loves us immeasurably more! And more! And His best for us....really is the Best there is!!

I'm praying His Best for you!
Laura