Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Shack Attack

Now that life is somewhat back to normal (is there ever really a NORMAL around here?), I wanted to let you in on a little something I am doing right now. Laura, my lifelong friend, called/emailed to let me know that she was putting together a little summer reading group. The first book? The Shack.

When she first told me about this, I was in the midst of THE migraine. I immediately began looking for this book, but I also immediately began having trouble finding it. It seems that Lifeway had pulled it from it's shelves. My first stop was Target. Now, I will admit I had some other things to pick up there, but I was hoping that I would be able to find it there. Nope.

Next stop, Walmart. This time I went there for two purposes. To see if they had any Wii Fits in stock and to purchase The Shack. Strike two. Anyone that knows me realizes that I am cheap...super cheap. So I was not about to pay full retail for a book that I was certain I could find on sale. As I drove away from Walmart empty handed, my cheapness was stamped out by common sense. Was I going to continue to spend $4 a gallon driving around trying to save $4 on a book. I finally just went to the new Barnes and Noble at the Streets of Indian Lake and bought the book. Of course, I still had the raging migraine so it sat on the counter for several days before I even picked it up. Honestly, I was starting to wonder if God didn't want me to read the silly book.

I am about half way through and I am still forming my opinion. Jonathan actually picked it up and has already finished it. I'll let you know our thoughts on the book after I have finished it (hopefully this weekend). If you want to read it, we've got it. It has a $1 per day rental fee (totally kidding although I am that cheap to think of that).

So has anyone else read it? What are your thoughts?

I am anxious to get together with Laura and the rest of the group and discuss!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I read it a few months ago. Would love to hear what you think. I'll have to comment again when I have more time to type.

Anonymous said...

We read this last semester at Tuesday morning biblestudy. You know I DON'T read books. However I could not put this book down. Every fifteen minutes I could sneak away I'd be buried in it and was done in three days, a task I never dreamed I'd do. I loved it. I loved it. I loved it. I heard someone say that once your done with this book, you'll want everyone you know to read it too. And I found that to be true for me. And I can't wait for Chris to read so we can discuss.

I think it's important to remember through all the hype about this book. The author is not claiming this to be theology. It's fiction. It's a story. And a really good one that causes one to ask many questions about the God we so often put into a box.

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm so honored to be headlined on the blog, but moreso that we're going to get to chat about a very, very interesting book! I've gotten some crazy emails sent my way. And my blog has received quite a few "onlookers". I decided to quit doing the discussion questions, and just leave it open for our group's coffee talk. Everyone's excited. I'm glad you're going to be able to join us.

Love you bunches....
Laura