Saturday, September 1, 2007

Stephanie McMinn's story

Just to remind you all...this is taken from Stephanie's caringbridge site and I wanted to share it with you as well. Stephanie wrote this to give visitors an overview of her life:

Having tried unsuccessfully for many years to start a family, on January 1, 1998, we had our miracle baby eight and half years into our marriage. Our dream had come true. One year later on January 8, 1999, at the age of 31, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was in my lymph nodes as well. After surgery, treatment and radiation, I went through about a year and half thinking everything was 'okay'. On September 11, 2001, we were told my cancer had spread to five places in my bone.......no cure. Our daughter was three. I started chemotherapy again. Since then it has spread throughout my skeleton from my skull to my ankles. Three years ago it showed up in my liver and about 19 months ago it appeared in the dura lining of my brain. I have pretty much been constantly on chemotherapy minus breaks for infections, low bloodwork, etc. There are hundreds of different chemotherapy medicines so I have been on numerous drugs at different stages. The cancer is smart enough to figure out the drugs and when the medicine is no longer effective I will change drugs, etc.

Medically, the goal is to keep my cancer 'at bay' for as long as possible and to keep me living as productive of a life for as long as possible. I've told my doctors from the beginning that God doesn't work on statistics and that I don't plan on being one. He is in control and I will leave this earth when He calls me home.

I have the most wonderful oncologist ever!! She is a Christian and she has let God use her in my medical care.

Do I understand why I have this disease? No! Do I suffer with thise disease? Yes! Does it break my heart to see my child and husband deal with this? Yes! I don't have answers. But, I know that I trust God and that He loves me so much. I'm still believing for a miracle and I know that HE can provide. NOTHING is impossible for him that believes. I'm choosing to walk every day in faith. (Some days it may not appear that way......I'm so very human.....but I'm making the effort.)

Many have followed my journey since the beginning. Thank you for praying and believing with me. To God be the glory!!!!!

I turn 40 this summer!!! Molly is 9!!! (Tom IS 40!)

No comments: